The Los Angeles based dermatologist and official dermatologist for the judges and contestants on the past season finale of ABC's Dancing With the Stars shares how you can prepare your skin for a big event.
The pressure to look our best before a special event can wreak havoc on our skin - often resulting in embarrassing blemishes and dull, tired-looking skin. Stress causes the body to increase production of the stress hormone "cortisol" which causes the skin's oil glands to kick into overdrive, increasing oil production that can cause stress-related acne - even in those who don't normally suffer from acne. Not only does stress increase oil production, but it can also drain the skin of water that acts as a protective barrier, inhibiting the skin's ability to repair itself from damage.
SkinMedica's beauty experts have designed a quick-fix skincare regimen to repair stressed skin in less time.
If the event is a week away, follow all three steps for flawless skin. The night before the event follow Steps 2 and 3, and if you are looking for an instant beauty boost the day of the event, follow Step 3:
Step 1: One week before the event:
- Start with a gentle, non-invasive chemical peel treatment, such as SkinMedica's Illuminize Peel, the week before the special event to improve skin's clarity and give your complexion a healthy, radiant glow with no downtime or visible peeling.
- If you have developed stress-related acne, use SkinMedica's Acne System, which consists of an Acne Treatment Foaming Wash, Acne Treatment Toner and Acne Treatment Lotion to accelerate healing, control breakouts and absorb excess oil.
- For a quick and dramatic enhancement of your overall skin condition, as well as providing your skin with long-term improvement, use SkinMedica's TNS Essential Serum. This ultimate serum combines the power of growth factors with potent antioxidants, peptides, skin smoothing and lightening agents that transform the skin. In addition, the TNS Essential Serum produces a filling effect by infusing the skin with Hyaluronic Filling Spheres together with a wrinkle relaxer, a peptide that relaxes muscles and temporarily eases fine lines.
- Use a sun block with an SPF 30 or higher to maintain improvement and prevent ultra-violet (UV) damage.
Step 2: The night before the event:
- Wash with SkinMedica's Facial Cleanser followed by a mild facial exfoliant such as SkinMedica's Skin Polisher. The Skin Polisher contains soft, ultra-fine jojoba spheres that gently lift dead cells from the skin's surface without over-exfoliating or stripping away moisture, polishing the skin to perfection and preparing it for proper moisturization and hydration.
- Follow with a moisturizer that is appropriate for your skin type. For example, SkinMedica's Ultra Sheer Moisturizer, a light solution that infuses skin with panthenol and antioxidants for a healthy-looking complexion.
Step #3: The morning of the event:
- Wash with SkinMedica's Facial Cleanser, and follow with Skin Polisher, a gentle facial exfoliant (do not use Skin Polisher if you used it a night before).
- Apply a hydrating facial masque, for example, SkinMedica's TNS Hydrating Masque, and let it sit for 10 minutes (take this time to relax and relieve some stress). Occlusion forces the moisture into the skin and promotes deeper hydration, which also leads to better penetration of other important active ingredients. In addition to infusing the skin with vital hydration, the Hydrating Masque helps nourish, plump and firm the skin. As an added benefit of using the Masque, makeup will glide on smoother and look more even.
- Apply appropriate moisturizer for your skin type, such as SkinMedica's Ultra Sheer Moisturizer.
- Then use the SkinMedica TNS Line Refine around the mouth, eyes and crow's feet where fine lines tend to appear. TNS Line Refine creates a rapid filling and smoothing action that visibly reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Follow this simple routine and your skin will look spectacular for the big event.